I'll summarize it for you. If you suffer from any of the following personality traits, you are very likely to be overweight:
- you are not an "easy" person, a generally disagreeable type
- you are a night owl and/or sleep deprived
- you are a stress junkie (you thrive on competition and deadline pressure)
- you are a mindless multitasker, enjoying eating while doing other tasks at the same time
- you are a giver and put other people's needs ahead of your own
- you are a perfectionist
Why am I bringing this up here on HGK? Because I think it gets to the heart of the matter. Like the author of the article says, everybody knows that broccoli is healthier than McDonald's. So why do we have such a hard time consistently making the right decisions?
Because our personalities get in the way.
For me, I fall into category #2, 3, 4, 5 AND 6.
That's a lotta dysfunction. But those same personality traits are the ones that got me where I am today. I just have to know when I am taking things too far.
I am a big believer in self-awareness. Not to be confused with me saying that "I am self-aware." Quite the contrary. But I am committed to working on it. Because if I don't know the reasons that I am making my mistakes, how can I ever do anything differently?
Which personality categories do you fall into? Do you see a connection between your personality and your weight issues?